Feminist Job Description
||Field Organizer - Seattle, WA
||Greenpeace is the leading independent environmental organization that utilizes bold action, cutting-edge research and creative communications to protect the Earth. We expose global environmental problems and promote the solutions that are essential to a green and peaceful future. We investigate, document and expose environmental destruction in a peaceful manner and promote open, informed debate about society's environmental choices. To ensure our independence we do not accept donations from corporations or governments. To learn more about us, please visit our website at www.greenpeace.org
Field Organizer - Seattle, WA
The Bering Sea (the waters between Russia and Alaska) is home to the largest underwater canyons in the world as well as polar bears, seals, sea lions, walruses, whales, and millions of seabirds. It is also America's most productive fishing grounds managed by the North Pacific Fishery Management Council (NPFMC), which historically has been dominated by industrial fishing interests. However, last spring the NPFMC agreed to consider new protections for the Bering Sea canyons after Greenpeace and our scientific partners published new research exposing vulnerable coral and sponge habitat in the canyons that is being destroyed by industrial fishing. We need to build on this commitment to ensure the long-term health of the ecosystem, our nation's most fruitful fisheries, and the subsistence culture of native communities.
Are you a tenacious strategist, primed to bring this issue to diverse constituencies so these voices can counter the industrial fishing interests' huge influence on the NPFMC? Are you prepared to jump in and support Greenpeace campaigns to save our forests and protect communities from toxic pollution and the risks of nuclear energy? Do you want to build power working alongside communities in the increasingly pivotal Pacific Northwest? Are you ready to start NOW?
Purpose of the Position:
To organize support for the North Pacific Fishery Management Council to issue protections for the world's largest underwater canyons and critical shelf break habitat in the Bering Sea.
Job Scope and Responsibilities:
A Greenpeace Field Organizer is passionate, driven, strategic, and thrives in a fast-paced environment. Organizers use a wide variety of strategies and tactics on campaigns to protect people and the planet from corporate greed. They might wear a suit to a morning lobby meeting with a state senator, only to get paint on an old pair of jeans that evening while painting a banner with local volunteers. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited
- Building and cultivating relationships with organizations and grasstops leaders to increase support for the campaign including with local NGOs, scientists, academics, and elected officials.
- Coordinating public outreach events in order to recruit a base of volunteers.
- Coaching volunteers to lead interdependent teams of activists in communities.
- Quickly developing knowledge of Greenpeace issues, planning and executing successful campaign events, and generating media coverage for our campaigns.
- Coordinating closely with other Greenpeace staff on the Bering Sea campaign
- Producing ongoing reports, data tracking, and critical analysis of work.
- Other responsibilities as required by the Field Organizing Director.
- 1-2 years of grassroots organizing experience
- Proven ability to coordinate with a collaborative team and work independently to deliver results.
- Critical thinking, strategic insight, and time-management skills.
- Demonstrated talent building relationships and cultivating commitments with a range of activists, volunteers, and partners.
- Ability to recruit volunteers in both urban and suburban/rural areas. Experience recruiting via canvassing/house parties/home visits a plus.
- Ability to work in a high energy, office space with a Frontline fundraising team
- Strong communication skills - written and oral – with attention to detail.
- Commitment to grassroots organizing and non-violent direct action as a means of affecting change
- While prior experience in environmental advocacy is not required, an ideal candidate has a track record of using innovative social justice strategies to win against a corporate target.
- Strong consideration will be given to candidates who have local relationships and experience in Washington progressive politics.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) is preferred.
- Location: Seattle, WA
- Anticipated start date is March 2013.
- This position will be a one year contract with the option to renew for an additional year.
The salary for this position is $39,255.84. Greenpeace USA values a healthy work-life balance and has flexible, family-friendly employment policies. Our competitive benefits package for full-time employees includes medical, dental, and vision coverage with low contributions from staff. We have options for pre-tax flexible spending accounts for medical and dependent care costs. Greenpeace employees enjoy generous 401K matching and time off for vacation, sick, personal, and parental leave. After five years, staff are eligible for a paid sabbatical. To encourage public transportation use and biking, we offer subsidies for staff who choose to bike or ride mass transit to work. Greenpeace is committed to the growth and development of staff and fostering a creative workplace culture. For more information, check out our benefits plan (http://www.greenpeace.org/usa/en/about/jobs/benefits-plan/).
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the following in your cover letter: a specific explanation of your interest in Greenpeace's mission and the available position and how you found out about this career opportunity. Please use the email subject line: Seattle Field Organizer Position - YOUR NAME. Application deadline is February 15, 2013. No phone calls please.
Diverse perspectives and experiences enhance the way Greenpeace selects and approaches issues, as well as the creativity and effectiveness of our campaigns. Greenpeace therefore strongly encourages applications from women, people of color, and other diverse communities.
||Feb 11 2013 12:00AM
Back to Feminist Job Listing
Page to a Friend
Subscribe to the Feminist Career Center