Feminist Job Description
||DC Metro Region
||Description: Greenpeace is the leading independent environmental organization that utilizes bold action, cutting-edge research and creative communications to protect the Earth. We expose global environmental problems and promote the solutions that are essential to a green and peaceful future. We investigate, document and expose environmental destruction in a peaceful manner and promote open, informed debate about society's environmental choices. To ensure our independence we do not accept donations from corporations or governments. To learn more about us, please visit our website at www.greenpeace.org
The controller is accountable for the accounting operations of Greenpeace USA, an organization with an annual budget of $35 million and a full time staff of more than 500. This position manages the daily accounting functions, including the production of periodic financial reports, maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the company's reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles or international financial reporting standards.
Areas of responsibility:
1. Oversee the operations of the accounting department, including supervision and training of junior staff.
2. Develop, implement and maintain the workflow and assignments adequate for achieving the department's goals and objectives.
3. Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures.
4. Manage outsourced functions, i.e., services, contractors and temps.
1. Ensure that accounts payable are paid in a timely manner and are compliant with Greenpeace policies and Federal and State requirements.
2. Ensure that all reasonable discounts are taken on accounts payable when possible.
3. Ensure that NRO and GPI pass-throughs are billed timely and that accounts receivable are collected promptly 4. Process payroll and benefits journal entries in a timely manner.
5. Ensure that periodic bank reconciliations are completed 6. Ensure that required debt payments are made on a timely basis and that interest accruals are properly posted.
7. Maintain the chart of accounts.
8. Maintain an orderly accounting filing system.
9. Maintain a system of controls over accounting transactions.
1. Issue timely, accurate and complete financial statements
2. Support the preparation of Board reports.
3. Support the production of the annual budget and forecasts
4. Provide for a system of management cost reports
1. Coordinate the provision of information to external auditors for the annual audit.
2. Monitor debt levels and compliance with debt covenants.
3. Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings.
The controller candidate should have 10+ years of progressively responsible experience in a similar
organization. Experience in a non-profit organization is highly desirable.
Primarily in an office environment. Periodic overtime work at peak periods is expected.
Staff responsible for accounting transactions (e.g., staff accountant, accounts payable)
Benefits and Training:
Our competitive benefits package for full-time employees includes medical, dental, and vision coverage with low contributions from staff. We have options for pre-tax flexible spending accounts for medical and dependent care costs. Greenpeace employees enjoy generous 401K matching and time off for vacation, sick, personal, and parental leave. After five years, staff are eligible for a paid sabbatical. To encourage public transportation use and biking, we offer subsidies for staff who choose to bike or ride mass transit to work. Greenpeace is committed to the growth and development of staff and fostering a creative workplace culture. For more information, check out our benefits plan at http://www.greenpeace.org/usa/en/about/jobs/benefits-plan/.
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the following in your cover letter: a specific explanation of your interest in Greenpeace’s mission and the available position and how you found out about this career opportunity. Please use the email subject line: Controller Position â€“ YOUR NAME. Position open until filled. No phone calls please.
Diverse perspectives and experiences enhance the way Greenpeace selects and approaches issues, as well as the creativity and effectiveness of our campaigns. Greenpeace therefore strongly encourages applications from women, people of color, and other diverse communities.
||Jan 12 2013 12:00AM
Back to Feminist Job Listing
Page to a Friend
Subscribe to the Feminist Career Center