Feminist Job Description
||Senior Oceans Campaigner (SF or DC)
||Greenpeace is the leading independent environmental organization that utilizes bold action, cutting-edge research and creative communications to protect the Earth. We expose global environmental problems and promote the solutions that are essential to a green and peaceful future. We investigate, document and expose environmental destruction in a peaceful manner and promote open, informed debate about society's environmental choices. To ensure our independence we do not accept donations from corporations or governments. To learn more about us, please visit our website at www.greenpeace.org
The Senior Campaigner will work as an integral part of the global Greenpeace oceans campaign to end overfishing and establish a network of fully protected marine reserves. He or she will work with colleagues around the world to plan and implement activities to engage seafood businesses to increase the sustainability of their operations and join us as we work for healthy oceans.
1. In conjunction with the Oceans Campaign Director, develop and execute a work plan in line with both short term and long term goals for the campaign.
- Participate in strategic planning of the campaign
- Keep director up to date on the campaign and recommend changes in strategies or tactics if necessary
- Coordinate information flow within campaign, between departments and across the international Greenpeace oceans campaign
- Organize and oversee the work of campaign volunteers/interns/fellows
- Maintain a working knowledge of marine conservation and sustainable seafood issues and be able to present the information to a variety of audiences in language they can understand
- Coordinate and conduct research and analysis to further campaign goals
- Maintain a working knowledge of political, legislative, regulatory and economic framework relevant to the campaign
- Build alliances and/or support relationships with constituencies identified in strategic planning
- Develop or assist in the development of written materials
- Assist in writing press releases and in planning media strategies. Act as spokesperson for campaign and develop pro-active relationship with media
- Represent Greenpeace and the campaign at public events, grassroots activists groups, local citizens/town forums and the environmental community at large.
2. Manage a sub-component of a campaign or project independently, with guidance from the campaign director, to include managing interactions with other Greenpeace offices, within the context of the particular project.
3. Mentor junior campaigners to teach the fundamental skills of Greenpeace campaigning.
4. Direct, organize and participate in non- violent direct action events to support the campaign goals and national objectives.
5. Perform other job related duties as requested or assigned.
- Organizational skills, including experience with project management
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral
- Proven ability to develop and implement campaigns
- Ability to think creatively and innovate
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- Ability to travel
- Leadership ability
EXPERIENCE AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS:
- A minimum of seven years experience in campaigning, preferably on ocean issues and/or on a market based strategy
- Proven ability to work both independently and in close coordination with a team
- Well-rounded with ability to work with a variety of people and groups
- Proven experience in directing a project from conception to completion and clear track record in overseeing effective campaigns
- Strong skills and experience in public speaking/lobbying and/or organizing people around an issue
- Commitment to non-violence as a means of affecting change
- Willing to travel as required
Greenpeace USA values a healthy work-life balance and has flexible, family-friendly employment policies. Our competitive benefits package for full-time employees includes medical, dental, and vision coverage with low contributions from staff.
We have options for pre-tax flexible spending accounts for medical and dependent care costs.
Greenpeace employees enjoy generous 401K matching and time off for vacation, sick, personal, and parental leave. After five years, staff are eligible for a paid sabbatical. To encourage public transportation use and biking, we offer subsidies for staff who choose to bike or ride mass transit to work. Greenpeace is committed to the growth and development of staff and fostering a creative workplace culture. For more information, check out our benefits plan at http://www.greenpeace.org/usa/en/about/jobs/benefi
Please send cover letter and resume to
firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the following in your cover letter: a specific explanation of your interest in Greenpeace?s mission and the available position and how you found out about this career opportunity. Please use the email subject line: Senior Oceans Campaigner Position - YOUR NAME. Application deadline is December 22, 2012. No phone calls please.
Diverse perspectives and experiences enhance the way Greenpeace selects and approaches issues, as well as the creativity and effectiveness of our campaigns. Greenpeace therefore strongly encourages applications from women, people of color, and other diverse communities.
||Dec 20 2012 12:00AM
Back to Feminist Job Listing
Page to a Friend
Subscribe to the Feminist Career Center